Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Wish In The Woods or A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes...

Several years ago I had a dream in which I saw my "dream studio". It was a small white cottage with mossy cedar shingles nestled at the end of a path through tall pines, on a small rise near a bubbling stream where deer drank serenely, raising their heads only momentarily before dipping their heads back down to the water. Birdsong and the hum of bees filled the air, shafts of sunlight penetrated the tall pines dappling the forest floor in patterns of golden light. Window boxes on the cottage were filled with bright pansies Above the doorway of the cottage was a carved and brightly painted sign stating the words A Wish in the Woods Studio. The phrase has been in my thoughts for years now. I've not managed to find/build/obtain a studio anywhere, let alone in the woods, but it is still my wish I have held close to my heart all this time. "Oooooh," I thought, "If only I had a studio like this I would make such fantastic art!" As if that would somehow make me a better artist, more successful, more legitimate.

It is a lazy Sunday afternoon, I have just awakened from another dream about the studio. This time I saw the inside of the studio and was left without a doubt that the cottage studio is mine, as art I've made was displayed on the walls, works in progress lay on the work table, my favorite art supplies were all there. Even though I have not seen this studio it exists in my heart. I grabbed a golden key as I walked outside of the cottage and realized that I had walked out of the kitchen door of the house where I have lived for the last 13 years. I think I know how Dorothy felt when Glinda told her that she already had the power to "go home". I was at home in my studio all this time, I just hadn't allowed myself to see that. I was seeing the wish in my head and not in my heart.

Webster's dictionary defines studio as : the working place of a painter, sculptor, or photographer. The actual studio may manifest one day, my wish is that strong, but for now my kitchen table is my studio table. I have come home to A Wish in the Woods Studio, it not some faraway destination, it is already built in a room in my heart.

I remember singing along with Cinderella when my daughter was a little girl A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES, I dont' wish for a prince, but I do wish for the studio, it is the wish of my heart. I just didn't know that my dream really has already come true...

No comments:

Post a Comment